The year to date, 5 1/2 months so far (!!??) has really flown by … I’ve married my daughter (with the wonderful abilities of a notary public), hosted her wedding reception in our backyard (thanks to a beautiful home that still has not sold), hosted my niece on her very first trip away from home, showed the house what seems to be a million times, ate well, entertained tons of friends and well … drained the bank accounts.
Ok. Not really drained, as in EMPTY … but certainly spent more than I normally would. I’m not sure when I just said f*ck it and stopped keeping track.
And you know me … I can justify spending that $1.99 for that larger avocado at Trader Joe’s 😏 because, you know, those 69 cent avocados from Aldi are like half the size. Never mind that the larger the avocado, the bigger the seed. Whatever.
I guess I just had a moment this evening that made me realize I was “justifying” a tad too much …. hmmm … buying shitting $4.99 a pound HoneyCrisp apples because we LOVE them? Hmmm … they suck right now because they are NOT in season! I’m trying to rationalize why I buy what I buy and the reason for it but at the end of the day, it’s just not worth it. I’ve seen a few references to such by the “Avocado Toast” rage that’s going on right now …. so go ahead, buy your fancy bread AND the organic avocado that’s just not quite ready to eat tomorrow morning … come back tomorrow night and tell me just how good it really was.
Yes. I’m crabby.
Yes, I’m whiny.
I need to get my crap back together and get focused!
See this last grocery tally? Totally not practical, necessary and certainly not thought out! Right? Right!
So I’ve imposed a NO SPEND WEEK, at a minimum … I started on Friday and as I type this on Saturday, I can tell you that so far, so good … of course, we are only 1 1/2 days in!
Here are some of my goals, and hopefully these little tips will help you as well as keep me focused!
1. Shop the Pantry. Done! It’s amazing how much food we really have on hand when you LOOK.
2. Shop the Freezers. Done! Again, same as the pantry but more so in that holy cow, I don’t have any real bonafide chicken??
3. Menu Plan based on #1 and #2 … remember, I’m avoiding the grocery store this week, no matter what! And guess what? Saturday night’s dinner is going to be pretty awesome after all! Come back Sunday tomorrow to see what my plan is!
4. Meal Prep on Sunday (because that’s kind of my chill day) for the week by cooking the taco meat for Tuesday, prepping the veggies and so on. Doing some of this prep ahead of time is more likely to ensure we stick with our plan as the food is THERE and ready …
5. Bite the bullet and start tossing stuff in the pantry and freezer that have been hanging out forever. No, this is NOT saving money, it’s actually WASTING money but shame on me for buying that stuff in the first place. I’m over it. It’s time to get the pantry organized and clearing out some of that old stuff that’s been taking up space and hiding the goodies behind it!
I’m just gonna go with the flow of things here this week … Memorial Day weekend is coming up and well, it will be nice to have a clean start to a new month after that weekend is over. I don’t see a whole lot planned yet so maybe I’ll continue the NO SPEND WEEK in to the weekend … we’ll see!
How about you? Are you needing a NO SPEND WEEK in your household?
forward to sharing with some of these GREAT
Parties … go check them out!
post may contain affiliate links … click
here to read my disclosure 🙂